Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Candidate James Streeto - Statement

The below information is a part of the Eye's Elections 2011 series to provide information to voting citizens and does not represent any endorsement by the Middletown Eye or any of its authors.
--------------------------------
I much appreciate the forum. I am currently running for the Board of Assessment Appeals.

This is my first run for assessment appeals; however, I have held municipal office before. I served on the Middletown City Council from 1997-2005, and from 2007 to the present. Before that, I served on the Zoning Board of Appeals, and the Board of Ethics. I am also a member of the Middletown Democratic Town Committee; I have served as assistant treasurer and parliamentarian of that body. I have served on the Board of Habitat for Humanity, and am a member of the Elks Club.

I graduated from Trinity College in 1984 and the University of Connecticut School of Law in 1987. After a number of years in private practice, I became a full time public defender for the State of Connecticut in 1999. In that capacity, I represent indigent persons convicted of crimes in appeals to the Connecticut Supreme and Appellate Courts, and, on occasion, in federal court.

I believe the next two years will be challenging ones on the Board of Assessment Appeals. The poor economy will doubtless cause many people to feel squeezed by any increases in their municipal taxes. I bring a wealth of legal knowledge to the Board, a great deal of experience in municipal affairs, and, I hope, a dedication to attentively and patiently hearing each applicant, and fairly and impartially deciding their case.

No comments: