Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Letter in Support of Jon Pulino For Treasurer

The below information is a part of the Eye's Elections 2011 series to provide information to voting citizens and does not represent any endorsement by the Middletown Eye or any of its authors.
-------------
My name is Eleanor (Bellobuono) Tomaszewski. I am a senior citizen (82 years young) and am writing to urge Middletown voters to elect Jonathan Pulino as Middletown's next city treasurer on November 8, 2011. In particular, I ask that all of Middletown senior citizens vote for Jonathan Pulino as I know that he has our best interests at heart and will listen to our concerns. I know this for a fact as I have talked to Jonathan at length myself.


Currently Jonathan teachers English at an inner city high school in Meriden which is something that only a small amount of people can do. After getting to know Jonathan through the Middletown Republican Town Committee (I have been a member since 2004), I have been very impressed with his attitude toward his chosen profession and philosophy that the job is a "calling" rather than a daily grind. He enthusiastically speaks about his experiences in the classroom and at times appears frustrated over the fact that he wasn't able to reach a student that day- this is a good example of somebody that is not self-absorbed and reflective and person that should be in local government.

Jonathan has also mentioned that as a treasurer he would institute a 4-prong policy to take the office into a new direction. He speaks about forming a treasurer's committee which would include members of both sides of the political aisle in order to focus on the city's money issues. Jonathan also supports line items and transparency with regard the Board of Education's budget something that he would like to push the state legislation to change if he is elected.

It is Jonathan's feelings that being part of city government is an honor and a privilege and not something to be looked at lightly. I learned this when I dealt with Jonathan at a meeting of the Board of Assessment Appeals in 2007, he was kind and polite and listened to my appeal a lot longer than he was supposed to which meant a lot to me: he was listening to my side of story, not trying to get me out of the office like others have done to senior citizens such as myself in the past.
Anyone that knows me knows that I am a very forthright person. I would only write a letter for someone I wholeheartedly believed in. Jonathan Pulino is a person of exceptional and uncommon integrity and possesses skills that will make for an excellent city treasurer.

Respectfully,
Eleanor (Bellobuono) Tomaszewski

No comments: